In business the handshake is often the only physical contact we have with another human being, it sends a variety of messages and must be appropriate in strength and duration.
The perfect handshake can exude confidence and personality and a below par performance can leave your authority and personality in doubt.
As a woman in business you will need to lead the handshake as some men will wait for this cue.
How to shake hands:
- Palm should be perpendicular to the ground
- Hold your arm so that it is parallel to the ground ensuring that your thumb points upward
- When the recipient of your gesture offers their hand engage with all your fingers closed around the other persons hand
- Give their hand a gentle squeeze simultaneously administering one/three downward shakes that travels about 2cm
- Shake from the elbow not the wrist
- When you let go of their hand refrain from wiping your hand immediately after.
Here’s to a good handshake and a brilliant first impression. Kx